Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ai Ai's new love - chocolates!

I am so inspired by The Little Nonya drama on Channel 8 that I dug out my New Mrs. Lee Cookbook from the shelf and attemped a Babi Pongteh last week.
But I wasn't sure if the dish tasted right, so we went around the island sampling Babi Pongteh from different restaurants.

Ivins: Tough meat that is very salty with no hint of any flavours except taucheo... they should rename it Babi Taucheo
Guan Hoe Soon: Pork is tender with a slight hint of some spices in the gravy. Taucheo is not overpowering. Savoury compared to my cookbook version.
My cookbook version: Sweeter than Guan Hoe Soon's, and taucheo taste is not too strong. R likes both my version and Guan Hoe Soon's :)

Next to try would be Dulukala's babi pongteh and then I may attempt a babi assam.

Here's a picture of Ai Ai enjoying her dessert - Cadbury chocolate from Auntie Jenny of Guan Hoe Soon.
She was promised her chocolate if she finished her dinner.
When she finished eating, she pointed to Auntie Jenny and said "chocolate", but Auntie Jenny was busy on the phone.
She started crying, thinking we had broken our promise.
When Auntie Jenny got off the phone, she immediately came to Ai Ai and gave her the chocolate :)


1 comment:

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

Eh next time you cook Nonya dishes, ask me to come by your place *thick-skinned*. I also love it!