Friday, June 26, 2009

Update on NUH Re-scan

Went for my re-scan alone at NUH yesterday as R had to stay at home and look after Ai Ai.
We didn't want Ai Ai to go along cos of all the H1N1 scare.
I waited for 2.5hrs before my name was called, by which time my bladder was really full!
This kiasu mommy didn't want to go to the toilet in case I missed my name being called and have to wait again :P

During the scan, the chief sonographer was really nice - kept reassuring me that everything looks OK although I could still see the potential VSD gap on the screen.
But I guess I've already come to terms with the situation so I wasn't too upset by what I saw.
This little gap will not affect baby's lifestyle in any way, except that he/she will probably not be an Olympian :)

When Prof. Biswas came in later to interpret the findings, he reassured me that it should not be a cause for worry, but we can always let the paediatrician know about it at birth.

My main concern was:
Would this 1mm gap become bigger relative to the baby's size?
i.e. as the baby grows in my tummy, would this gap become bigger?

His answer:
Baby's heart has doubled in the last one month, from the time the 1mm gap was spotted.
Now a month later at the re-scan, gap is still the same at 1mm.
If it was significant, it would have become bigger. So in our case, it's really no cause for worry.

Whew! What a relief!

P/S. He mentioned baby looks a little small, only at the 5th percentile for its gestational age. When I told him Ai Ai was a small baby too, he said that it could be just genetic then :)

No comments: